History of the Nutrena® Brand
- 1921 — Miller-McConnell Grain Company established in Kansas City, KS.
- 1922 — Nutrena is granted a patent by the US Patent Office.
- 1925 — Nutrena introduces the first colored bag into the feed industry.
- 1926 — Nutrena is the first feed company to introduce cod liver oil, rich in vitamins A&D, in its feed.
- 1929 — Nutrena introduces the first pellet mill.
- 1945 — Cargill buys Nutrena’s stock, doubling the size of Cargill’s feed business.
- 1949 — Nutrena introduces Animal Protein Factor (APF) and vitamin B12 to poultry and swine feeds.
- 1950’s — Nutrena continues to expand, purchasing Royal Feed and Milling Company as well as the Giddings, TX plant from Fairmont Foods.
- 1957 — The research farm is established in Elk River, MN.
- 1965 — Cargill purchases Pillsbury’s feed division. The Nutrena® brand begins to appear as Cargill Nutrena®.
- 1969 — The Quaker Oats plant is purchased and rebuilt to Nutrena® specifications. Additional acquisitions bring the number of mills to 31.
- 1974 — Nutrena expands to Canada with the acquisition of National Grain facilities in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
- 1975-78 — Nutrena replaces three feed mills with the most modern plants in the industry.
- 1980s — Nutrena expands to the East with the acquisition of Young’s Premix in Pennsylvania, and to the West with Stockton Hay and Grain in California.
- 2000 — Nutrena establishes itself as a stand-alone brand focused on the ag-retail market segment. Takes on the identity and logo that we know today.
- 2001 — Cargill acquires Agribrands Intl., adding two complete research facilities as well as additional production facilities in 26 countries around the globe. Nutrena’s foundation of experts and technology expand accordingly.
- 2001 — Nutrena begins a relationship with the American Quarter Horse Association – the world’s largest horse breed association.
- 2002 — Introduction of new extrusion technology allows production of Nutrena’s Empower™ – a new high fat rice bran equine supplement—to the industry.
- 2004 — Nutrena launches XTN®, a new generation equine formula specially designed to deliver higher levels of performance and to minimize the negative effects of stress from rigorous training and competition.
- 2005 — Nutrena launches SafeChoice®, a controlled starch formula, scientifically balanced for horses in all life stages—and carefully designed for simplified feeding, added safety and superior nutrition.
- 2006 — Cargill Animal Nutrition Innovation Center increases research efforts in equine, pet food and aquaculture
- 2007 — Nutrena launches Vitality®, scientifically designed with Smart Grain Technology™ —a revolutionary breakthrough in grain-based nutrition that delivers superior performance and a welcome margin of safety.
- 2007 — Nutrena introduces Loyall™ - A new line of premium dog and cat food, available exclusively at ag-retail outlets.
- 2009 — Nutrena updates the Life Design family of products with a new package design and inclusion of the latest in nutritional research.
- 2009 — Nutrena brand products become more widely available to consumers through placement at Tractor Supply Company stores nationwide.
- 2010 — Nutrena expands its horse feed supplement offering with the addition of Empower Balance, a grass ration balancer formula, to the Empower line.
- 2011 — Nutrena introduces the NatureWise natural poultry feeds and Country Feeds poultry feed lines to consumers.
- 2011 — Nutrena launches online product ratings & reviews to enhance consumer's ability to share their opinion on products with others.
- 2012 — Nutrena develops a re-usable, durable plastic egg carton made from recycled materials to offer to poultry owners.
- 2012 — Nutrena introduces two new products to the SafeChoice horse feed line - Special Care and Perform - in addition to the popular Original formula.
- 2013 — Nutrena introduces three new products in the SafeChoice horse feed line - Senior, Maintenance, and Mare & Foal.
- 2014 — Nutrena joins forces with the Progressive Nutrition horse feed brand to provide consumers with more access to products.
- 2014 — Nutrena launches a new premium line of performance horse feeds - the ProForce line, including Fuel, XTN, Senior, and Fiber.
- 2015 — Nutrena adds the recently purchased Pennfield brand of super-premium horse feeds to it's Nutrena lineup.